High Fashion is definitely a luxury that I cannot afford in my regular budget so I had no choice but to master the art of mixing high and low fashion! Not to mention the many celebrities who so effortlessly wear fast fashions from Zara and H&M with their YSL handbags and Louboutins. I'm no celebrity but I do have great fashion sense, and you can too!
What is High and Low Fashion?
It is the process of mixing high-end designer items with cheaper pieces, whether it's GoodWill meets Zara or H&M meets Chanel. For instance, this H&M jumpsuit was $35 at the time I purchased it. I happily paired it with my Steve Madden shoes and Chanel handbag to make it a successful high and low fashion mix.
There is ONE tip to mastering the art of mixing high and low fashion.
- KNOW WHEN TO SAVE AND KNOW WHEN TO SPLURGE
SPLURGE ON: Accessories, Jackets/Coats, Shoes, and Handbags- they elevate any look.
- You will actually get a better return on your investment with these items in designer fashion, because usually it's made with great quality material. You know if you wear something over and over again that it will wear out, so the investment in high quality is worth it.
- If times are ever hard, you could make money back in your time of need. you will wear them more often than anything else.
- It upgrades your whole outfit to another level.
DO: Make sure the item is versatile.
DON'T: Invest in trendy high end designer items.
SAVE ON: T-Shirts, Jeans, and Leggings (Basics)
- Trends come and basics are staples and allows the opportunity to be on trend even when the trend is over.
- You can save money and get more bang for your buck in bulk.
- Full creative control to mix in simple pieces various ways within your wardrobe multiple times without anyone noticing.
DO: Choose basic colors.
DON'T: Break bank on trendy basic pieces with special patterns and prints.
There you have it!